FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MITCHELL, SD (October 12th, 2015) The Mitchell community has begun swapping out billboards and staking down welcome signs as they gear up to welcome hunters to the Mitchell area as the state’s annual pheasant hunting season is set to begin this Saturday at Noon.
With the unveiling of bird numbers up nearly 49% in the Mitchell area, the community is ready to roll out the blaze-orange carpet as hunters provide a huge boost to the local economy each fall.
“We have already received numerous hunting inquiries from all over the United States,” said Katie Knutson, Director of the Mitchell Convention and Visitors Bureau. “With the Game, Fish and Parks’ increase in brood counts we are anticipating a very good year.”
Mitchell has decades of pheasant hunting traditions in the community and prepares months in advance for opening day. With the most lodges and guides in the state, over 50 restaurants and plenty of nightlife, when you’re hunting more than birds, hunt Mitchell.
Several big events will take place in Mitchell on opening weekend and include the Pheasant Country Pheasants Forever Banquet on Friday October 16th at 5:00pm. The banquet is a chance to help support increased pheasant habitat and youth programs in the Mitchell area by spending the evening with pheasant hunters from all over the United States and Canada in the World’s Only Corn Palace. Participants will enjoy the atmosphere of the decorated Corn Palace and the fellowship with hunters from all professions. The local chapter #872 is the largest Pheasants Forever membership chapter in the U.S. and Canada.
Additional opening weekend events include:
- Cabela’s Great American Pheasant Hunt, Thursday October 15th thru October 18th with your chance to win one of $10,000 in Cabela’s gift cards to be given away on Sunday evening.
- FREE popcorn balls from the World’s Only Corn Palace and promotional give-a-ways from the Convention and Visitors Bureau on Friday from 9:00am – 3:00pm at Cabela’s and the Mitchell Municipal Airport.
- Meet Outdoor Celebrities at Cabela’s that include Benny Spies, host of “GunIT with Benny Spies”, Tom Dokken, inventor of Dokken’s DeadFowl Trainer and author/founder of Dokken Dog Supply, Scott Linden, host of “Wingshooting USA” television show and Mark “Uncle Millie” Mills wild game cooking expert.
- A Hunters Wives Shopping Weekend on Mitchell’s Historic Main Street, Friday & Saturday
- Ladies Brunch and Bubbly at the Area Community Theater on Saturday morning at 10:00am.
- Stories and Legends of the First People on Saturday October 17th at the Prehistoric Indian Village
“We are beyond excited to welcome hunters to our area this season,” said Jen Johnston, Mitchell CVB Marketing Coordinator. “We ramped up our marketing efforts throughout the region and have placed some advertising in new markets this year utilizing new mediums and increasing our social media presence.”
Additionally, while in town, stop down and check out the new renovations to the World’s Only Corn Palace that include light up domes and turrets. The new 2016 “Rock of Ages” murals are also in the process of redecorating; your eyes won’t believe their 275,000 ears.
About Mitchell Convention & Visitors Bureau: The Mitchell Convention & Visitors Bureau markets and promotes the Mitchell area in order to attract leisure and group travelers, pheasant hunters, conferences, conventions, meetings, athletic and sporting events, and other related events to Mitchell. The CVB aims to provide positive and meaningful experiences that bring visitors back to Mitchell year after year while improving the quality of the life for Mitchell residents. For more information visit www.visitmitchell.com or call 605-996-6223.